Rules of Entry
- The prize is awarded annually
- Entries should be published translations of full-length works of imaginative and creative writing of literary merit and general interest, published in the original Arabic after, or during, the year 1967
- Entries for the 2019 prize must have been first published in English translation between 1 April 2018 and 31 March 2019
- Entries can have been published in English anywhere in the world but must be available for purchase in the United Kingdom via a distributor or on-line
- Entries can be by one or more translators
- Entries can only be submitted by a publisher
- There is no limit on the number of submissions made by a publisher
- Five copies of the translation and three copies of the original work should be submitted
- The closing date for receiving entries is 31 March each year, but this year entries will be accepted up to 23 April 2019 owing to the Society of Authors moving offices. New address for sending entries to is below.
- The judges can call in eligible titles that missed being entered by their publisher
- The judges shall have one meeting at which one winner will be chosen, and if appropriate, a runner-up and/or a highly commended.
For any queries and further information, please email: email@example.com
• The 2018 Award has been won by Luke Leafgren for his translation of The President's Gardens by Iraqi author Muhsin Al-Ramli (MacLehose Press) for all details click here
There is a new system for Entries for the 2019 award, and a new postal address to send the copies to.
1 Go to this link: https://www.societyofauthors.org/Prizes/Translation-Prizes/Saif-Ghobash-Banipal
2 Scroll down to the turquoise bar and click ENTER NOW.
3 Complete the online entry form for each translation you are entering.
Entries should be sent, but only after 25 MARCH 2019 and up to 23 April 2019, to:
THE SAIF GHOBASH BANIPAL PRIZE
THE SOCIETY OF AUTHORS
24 BEDFORD ROW
LONDON WC1R 4TQ